There are things you can to do for your baby before she is even born.
Before Baby Comes:
When you take good care of yourself, you are helping to take care of your baby. Planning ahead now will make things easier, too.
- Eat healthy foods. Make sure you get enough protein. Eat lots of different fruits and vegetables.
- Talk to your doctor to make sure you have the right prenatal vitamins. Some vitamins, like folic acid, can help prevent serious birth defects.
There’s a lot you can do to help your partner and get ready for your new little one.
- Help your partner eat healthy foods and get enough protein. Cook her dinner with lots of different fruits and vegetables.
- Go with your partner to childbirth classes. Be her support!
It’s good to make these important choices together ahead of time. Both parents should be involved in preparing for baby’s arrival.
- Choose a doctor for your baby (a pediatrician).
- Choose the hospital where you will have your baby. If you can, go take a tour.
- Make a birth plan. How do you want your baby’s birth to happen?
- Make a breastfeeding plan. It’s a gift only you can give your baby.
- Get an infant car seat. Your baby will not be able to leave the hospital without an infant seat that is correctly installed in your car.
- Take a baby care class. You will learn how to change diapers, calm a crying baby, and take your baby’s temperature.